04 August, 1991

Another perfect day in Paradise

I promised that I would check in every couple of months. I just checked to see that it has been four. I guess that is over my couple of month mark. Just wanted to let everyone know that I am feeling great. I am from pioneer stock, and to admit to pain has never beenpart of my vocabulary. To give you a for instance: Once when I was about 6 years old I was playing on an old tractor transporter with my brother. The whole rickety wooden thing fell on my leg and left about a 3 " long gash that went just as deep. We weren't supposed to be playing on it, so I didn't tell my mom, just put a bandaid on it and weeks later she saw this ugly scar tissue and wondered what had happened. That's the kind of pain I don't talk about.
My AS pain was horrible. When I look back on it now I can't believe how much I endured. Way worse than a tractor transport making a gash and bleeding profusely. Of course, the AS pain is not visible to anyone - which makes it seem so unbelievable to anyone except the person who is feeling it, and of course their partner who has to hear the moans and groans.
This is all to say that the pain I endured for that year was so real it makes me sick to think about it now. Really. It makes me nausious. It is five months since I went to the mines. The recovery has been amazing. I just came in from doing yard w0rk. I am replanting my lawn. I have been raking, picking up rocks, doing some heavy lifting, trimming back plants, up and down, up and down, watering - you get it. I am fine.

I am back to school and going to work, thinking about kids who don't turn in homework assignments - not the pain I used to feel with every move I made.
I want to go back to Montana in October. Not because I hurt, but because I have been told that on each visit you just feel better.
Mom is great, but she wants to go back too. She has totally quit her oxygen - even at night. NO MORE!!!
Once I was lost, but now I'm found. What more can I say?

No comments: