01 April, 1996

Days 5, 6 and 7 makes a week!


Day 5
Slept in until 8:30. I'm still feeling achy and yucky, but at least I've been sleeping through the night for a change. Last thing before I left, my doc wanted to put me on a muscle relaxant so that I could sleep thru the night. To hec with that! Mom is still feeling pretty much the same. We seemed to find a schedule that works well for us. 3 hours on. A break. 4 hours on.

10:00 - 1:00 RR. Worked on crafts in the little room. Mom read and napped.


Lunch Break. We checked out the hours for the little library in town. Closed Saturday. Sunday 1-5. Monday 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Tuesday 10-12N, 1-5. Wednesday 10-12N. Thursday 10-12N, 1-5. Friday 1-5. Funding/worker shortage no doubt. They have free computers/internet service. Newspapers, books, magazines also in abundance.

Also checked out the hours for the Senior Citizen Thrift Shop. MWF 10-3. It's located in an old railway station that was converted and moved to Main Street. Can't wait to check out the potential antiques roadshow items that are waiting for purchase in there! I'll have to wait until Monday though. There is also a Curves-like gym a short walk from the Mine Motel with a 10 day pass available. There are a few places to eat, two small grocery stores and a gas station just off of I-15 that has convenience items. Oh yeah, and also of note, across the street is a taxidermy shop with hundreds of elk skulls drying on the rooftop. No comment.

4:30 - 8:30 RR. Read, napped, talked to mom. Priceless.

Daily RR - 7.0 hours
TOTAL HOURS - 29.5

Day 6

Still sore and achy. Again slept through the night and had wild dreams. Switched over to daylight savings time.
11:00 - 2:00 RR.
Lunch break
4:00 - 8:00 RR. Met Sheri and Bill. They come up every year from Idaho. Sherri is the one who emailed me before I left about her husband who has RA and a trucking business. Really good people. Sheri comes up for "prevention" and to support Bill. They have been coming since '95. They have lots of stories, but one that Bill likes to tell is about a lady who lived in the area and had a horse who was dying. This horse had been written off by the Vet and everyone else. The lady would come up everyday and get a bucket full of water from the well and take it down to her horse to drink. Within the month that horse was eating again and looking "as healthy as a horse!" These stories sound amusing, but they are really no joke. There is a huge notebook full of personal testimonials that have been collected over the years.
Daily total = 7.0 hours
RR TOTAL - 36.5 hours

Day 7
Woke up with a sore throat. I asked Pat about this and she suggested that it may be from the plane. I'm sure she is right. Sure is sore. We did some laundry on the premises. Very convenient.
10:00 - 1:00 RR. Read, napped, talked. What a life!
Lunch and then my very anticipated trip to the Hot Springs! I had the place almost to myself (only about 3 other ladies). Started out with a shower and then "the plunge". 102 degree water filled w/lots of minerals (sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magneseum +) next I tried the icy water, but I only got to my knees! Into the Steam Room for about a 5 minute cooking session, then cold, then hot again. Ahhh. Good stuff.
4:00 - 8:00 RR. At about 7:45 we had our first breakthrough. Mom stood up - all by herself! No help. No tugging on the arms of the chair. No asking for my hand to give her a boost. She just stood up. It has been years since she has been able to do that! We were so suprised that she sat down and then did it again! Amazing!
Daily Total - 7.0 hours
RR TOTAL - 43.5 hours


Every evening as we're driving down the hill, we drive as slowly as possible so as not to hit the uberzillions of deer that are everywhere!

No comments: