29 March, 1998

More R &R (Radon/Relaxation)

Okay, so it's an old photo, but just goes to show you how long this place has been around...

DAY 2

Enjoyed our typical bacon/egg breakfast, made in our little motel room kitchenette this morning. It takes about 5 minutes from the time we get into the car until the time we arrive at the RR. The weather is brisk for me, but then I'm coming from Hawaii so standing in front of the refrigerator is brisk! We get a kick out of turning to each other in the morning after we get into the car, and saying, "Well, it's off to the mines!"


8:30-12:30: RR. Both mom and I felt extremely tired this morning, even after a good night's sleep. We catnapped and read. No headache or blurry vision today, just tired.

Back to the motel for lunch and a couple of hour break.


2:30-5:30: RR. Decided to take a craft project with me, and worked at the table in the smaller room while I breathed in my radon air. Started snowing outside (!!) which was fun for me.

There is a window in this smaller room that has a beautiful view looking across the parking lot and down the valley to the town of Boulder. Mom stayed in the main RR and read and slept. At about 4:30 I started feeling very achy. It was getting harder and harder for me to walk, almost a stiffening. Also getting harder to turn my neck. SI joint also very painful.
Back to the motel for a hot bath.

Daily Total = 7.0
RR TOTAL = 10.5 Hours

Bed at 9:30pm. Woke up at 2:30 with Restless Legs, then back to sleep

DAY 3
Woke up at 6:30am, very very achy. Ate breakfast.
9:00-1:00 : RR. Bill was there and had been since 1:30 in the morning! I was very achy the entire day. People commented that that is usually a good sign for a positive recovery. Mom was a little bummed because she felt fine! Still tired. Mostly napped and read.
Back to the motel for lunch.

I went to the little local library just a short walk down Main Street to check my email. Library hours today are from 1-5pm. A sign on one of the stores in Boulder says "We're here when we're here". That about sums it up. I fell in love with the town, but it is small town America (population 1,700). Drove over to the HotSprings. Thought today would be my day, since plunging into some hot mineral water sounded pretty enticing when I was hurting so much. No Luck. Off Season. Only open from 4-8pm until April 1st. I'll try again in a couple of days.
4:30-8:30PM : RR. Found Pat's notebook that is about 6 inches thick and filled with research about radon therapy, hormesis and similar topics. Had a field day reading the articles while I breathed in the magic potion.
Daily total = 7.0 hours
RR TOTAL= 17.5 hours

Bed by 9:30. Woke up with horrible earpain. I've been getting this for the past year, but this is the first time on this trip. The pain is so bad it wakes me up. It is always just in one ear (whichever one I am sleeping on) and I can never tell if it is just inside the opening of my ear, or the cartlidge on the outside. Whatever it is it hurts like hell. I become totally paralyzed, but subconsciously know that the only way the pain will stop is to move, but I have to do it ever so slowly, like a mm at a time. I always hope that there is no fire or burglar during one of these episodes because I would be a damsel in distress! After about 10 minutes the pain subsides and I can go back to sleep. I spoke with my doctor about it, but he could give me no answers, only "the look." Funny, I have heard other people with AS who experience something very similar (cartlidge arthritis?) which is always reassurance that I'm not totally bonkers.

1 comment:

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

Healthline just designed a virtual guide of the effects of ankylosing spondylitis on the body. You can see the infographic here: http://www.healthline.com/health/ankylosing-spondylitis/effects-on-body

This is valuable med-reviewed information that can help a person understand how AS will affect their body. I thought this would be of interest to your audience, and I’m writing to see if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://h20girladventures.blogspot.com/1998/03/more-r-r-radonrelaxation.html

If you do not believe this would be a good fit for a resource on your site, even sharing this on your social communities would be a great alternative to help get the word out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Please let me know your thoughts and if I can answer any questions for you.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com